søndag den 5. september 2010

Book reading on Nokia N900...





I got a Nokia N900 during my time in Denmark in July-August. And it is a great tool for listening to podcast of Danish radio programs, as well as the camera is 'decent'. However, by downloading an Ebook reader program for the device, I can use it as a book reader. I have now read almost 3 entire books on it (due to the bad weather in Ao Nang :-). First I ended the trilogy by Jacob Ejersbo by reading Liberty on the N900 (highly recommendable trilogy!). Then I read Libri di Luca by Mikkel Birkegaard (also a superb novel), and now I am reading Michael Katz Krefeld's 'Før stormen' (before the storm).
The greatest thing about E-books is that you can download books in your native language even when being in South East Asia. Getting a 'real' danish book around here is pretty difficult, and IF you find one, it will probably be a lousy boring book. On top of this, Ebooks are usually 30-50% cheaper than the cost of a paper versions. The screen of N900 is slightly too small for perfect reading experience, but on the other hand, the device fits nicely in your pocket. And I can read ANY where. On top of this, I am highly restricted in my baggage weight, so I love that I do not need to travel with 2+ books as I did in the beginning...
In my humble mind, Ebooks will be the next big thing; it will go like with the CD's. 5-10 years ago, even small towns in Denmark had 2-3 CD shops. Now they all are closed and you can maybe find a top 20 CD shelf in the super market; For the few 50+ aged who deny that downloading and sharing of music has ever happened. And who seem to accept the very reduced selection of only the total mainstream music.
Before leaving from Denmark I tried to find an Ebook reader. I asked in electronic shops and they did not even know what I was talking about. I asked in book stores, and they had HEARD about it, and they maybe knew a person who had tried it. Come on... Your business is changing very rapidly, and in 5 years time you may be without job if you not start changing also.... Currently, the main device driving this is the Apple iPad (and in US the Amazon Kindle). I think that if the rest of the electronic industry does not catch up soon, Apple will win also the Ebook race.... When the price of the iPad become reasonable (I really want to buy the iPad, but around 700 Euro for it is outrageous. But I am sure it (or its successor) will come down in price soon.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar