onsdag den 5. januar 2011

Wireless world?

I was inspired by an article on Lonely Planet called "10 things I hate in hotels" (see link). He mentions a number of 'stupid' things' which hotels never seem to learn. Like location of power sockets etc.

I agree with the guy 100% but he is missing a few items.

One being that all hotels write that they have so-called "hi-speed internet access". But it can be very cumbersome or even require a phone call to figure out whether this means that they have a single computer hidden behind the reception connected to the internet or whether they have wifi coverage inside every room.

Another element is that it is almost impossible to find out whether the wireless internet access (if available) is free or whether it will cost you more money per day than you pay for the room. My impression is so far that the cheaper the hotel, the more likely it is that the internet is free of charge. It seems that only the expensive hotels can afford building up a system which includes charging for the internet.

A final element that is missing in the article is the amount of power sockets available. I do not feel that I travel around with a lot of gadgets, but I do have 2 mobile phones (which even though both from Nokia uses different chargers), I have a laptop computer, I have a charger for rechargeable batteries to save the environment. And not least I have a rechargeable and totally indispensable electrical mosquite zapper. At least my iPod was stolen in Bangkok so I do not need to charge that ;).

I have stayed in so many hotel rooms having only ONE power socket. And sometimes this power socket is even reserved for the installed fan. So I need to travel with extension cords, multiple adapters etc.
Today's photos shows the typical layout on my bed table ....
Welcome to the wireless world...

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar