mandag den 23. august 2010

Today's impression: FAT

Today I went to Hard rock cafe. I am fed up with the Egyptian food and their so-called good italian food. In best case it is lousy and in worst case it gives a stomach infection which I already tried. Three days ago I was in the - what they wrote - best Italian Restaurant in town, Cacao bar. And I had the worst pizza I have tried in my life. I could not tell whether the meat was bad or whether the cheese was from a goat or camel. But in egypt you can go to a pharmacy and ask for everything - without perscription - including everything to save a bad stomach:o). So today, my last day in egypt before leaving to Thailand with its wonderful food, I chose to eat at Hard Rock Cafe in Hurghada. And I had my first cow meat in Egypt that didn't taste like shit. The clue in Egypt is to eat chicken. Not even the worst cook or a broken refrigerator sem to be able to spoil chicken meat. But beef; yyyrk. And pork is of course not an option in an Arabic country.
But coming back to the word FAT. I now know where people who do not want to loose weight due to diarea go in Egypt. Hard rock cafe. I have seldomly seen so much fat concentrated in a single room before... Danish, English, Russian, American etc. Kids age around 8 years weighing more than me. Women around age 20 where you cannot see where the chin stop and where the lesg begin. Men so big that they need two chairs. Hard rock cafe means good music. But it also means american lifestyle. And American lifestyle in this room seems to be represented by fat people...... No, a little bit over weight most people are, but here the only right word is: fat...
I look forward for my first Thai meal after travelling tomorrow....
When all this is said, I also had my best meal in Egypt today. In hard rock cafe. But it really does not tell much... You need to look long around in the world for worse food... Egypt may in my mind after 7 days be charactarised by: Best diving in the world. But worst food.... Two times where people on street tried to steal from my pocket also not help to my impression of Egypt. Both times without luck luckily. Walking on the street is a menace also. I hate taxies. But on the street you are haunted meat. For every 5 meters you walk there is a new shop. Selling things you never need unless you have a big basement. All sales men try to guess where you are from (and often they are right!). Then they shake your hand and tell their name. As an (initially) polite European you shake their hand. And then they want to show you junk to buy for what they call a ridiculous low price. After many years of travelling e.g. Turkey in my youth (and a horrible trip to Tunesia many years later) I have learned the trick: Ignore ignore ignore. When will these countries ever learn that the best way to sell their stuff is to allow people to LOOK first at the goods? The other day I surprised a shop keeper. He was opening his shop early in the morning and was carrying things out. So I sneaked into his shop. And looked at T-shirts. And guess what? I BOUGHT one... Ok, of course not to the price of 15 euro he started out with. But for 4...

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar